Madeline B. Charne
1625 Brown street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Phone: 917-747-7256 • Fax: 212-932-2843 • E-mail: Mbcharne@gmail.com
Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA
Bachelor of Arts with High Honors in Theater and English Literature, June 2014
Phi Beta Kappa; GPA: 3.91
Lead Teaching Artist, Dramaturg, and Teaching Artist Apprentice (Fall 2015- Present)—Philadelphia, PA
- Develop curriculum for and teach full semester playwriting classes in Philadelphia public, private, magnet, and charter schools; during the course of the year, moved from assistant teaching, to co-teaching, to lead teaching classrooms
- Act as the director for two student written plays to be performed in front of their schools
- Develop and execute over 40 monologue workshops for middle school and high school students
- Manage and run a Middle School Monologue Festival, including collecting submissions, choosing finalists, working as a dramaturg with students to edit their pieces, and working as a production manager for the final festival showing
- Curate and compile a digitized anthology of past student work to be shared nationally
Teaching Artist, Bank Street Summer Camp (Summer 2011, Summer 2012)—New York, NY
- Developed a new program at the camp for 6-12 year olds to write, rehearse, and perform their own musicals
- Directed and choreographed a full length musical with 15-20 campers
- Taught acting, improvisational, and ensemble building games
Tutor, Bank Street Summer Camp (Summer 2012)—New York, NY
- Tutored a 6 year-old ESL child in reading and writing. Developed new literacy exercises to incorporate the child’s knowledge of the French alphabet and French grammar.
Assistant Theater Teacher, Hunter College High School and Elementary School (Summer 2007-Spring 2009)—New York, NY
- Taught theater in an enrichment program, including theater games, improvisational exercises, and original monologues.
- Assisted head teachers in both an after school theater elective and in a Communications and Theater core class. Developed and taught a Shakespeare unit for 7th and 8th graders.
Intern, Mudd Butts Theater (Summer 2008, Summer 2009)—Telluride, CO
- Helped 30 campers translate their writing into a fully realized play.
Resident Assistant, Swarthmore College (Fall 2013-Spring 2014)—Swarthmore, PA
- Managed a university residence hall floor of 26 diverse undergraduate students.
- Enforced university policy and ensured a safe and welcoming hall community
- Counseled students on a variety of issues, including interpersonal, emotional, and academic
- Served as a liaison between students and administration and advocate for student concerns
Grant Writing Apprentice, Walnut Street Theatre (Summer 2014-Spring 2015)—Philadelphia, PA
- Wrote a federal grant that led to a $10,000 increase in funding for the apprentice program
- Compiled statistics on how our theatre compares to other comparable cultural institutions locally and nationally to present to the Artistic Director, Managing Director, and the Board of Trustees
- Write foundation and corporate grants to support the education programming and the general operations of the theatre.
- Create and edit content for the website, newsletter, and communications with high-level donors
Stage Manager, Luna Theater, Swarthmore College, and Philadelphia Fringe Festival (2011-Present)—Philadelphia, PA
- Manage up to thirty people’s weekly schedules and schedule and plan rehearsals, fittings, and production meetings
- Collaborate with directors and designers to create and enforce a production schedule
- Manage show budgets and keep track of expenditures
- Hire and supervise all run crew and board operators
- Assist in the development and implementation of safety policies
- Supervise and manage the actors during the duration of the run, including enforcing past direction and notes
- Extensive experience with improvisational comedy
- Trained in public speaking
- Trained in many acting styles
- Photography training (35mm digital)
- Elementary proficiency in Russian and Spanish
- Mastery of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook) and Aperture software
- Managerial skills
- Extensive knowledge of research databases
- Knowledge of MLA and Chicago Style formatting